- This event has passed.
Democratic Resilience Index Launch
September 21, 2021 @ 9:00 am – 11:00 am
The German Marshall Fund of the United States, in partnership with GlobalFocus Center and the European Commission, is pleased to invite you on Tuesday, September 21 between 9:00 am and 11:00 am EDT to the launch event of the Democratic Resilience Index, the first quantitative instrument specifically designed to measure democratic resilience. The Democratic Resilience Index and pilot results in Romania, Hungary, and the Republic of Moldova will be presented in an interactive, hybrid discussion format.
The Index proposes a completely new approach and methodology, grounded in both academic literature and institutional practice, aiming to identify the triggers of resilience in emerging and consolidated democracies, through a multi-dimensional assessment matrix including Politics and Governance, Media and Civil society, Economy, and Foreign Affairs. It reveals the institutional and structural resilience drivers in each country, elite agency, the key buffers against democratic backsliding, and potential crisis triggers, and can serve as a robust instrument for evidence-based policy interventions designed to build more resilient democracies.
– Ian Lesser, Acting President, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
– Lawrence Meredith, Director, DG NEAR, European Commission
– Suren Avanesyan, Chief of Democracy and Governance Office, USAID
Alina Inayeh, Director, Black Sea Trust, The German Marshall Fund of the United States
Presentation and Panel Discussion
– Dani Sandu, Research Lead, GlobalFocus Center; PhD Candidate, European University Institute, Florence
– Veronica Anghel, Adjunct Professor, School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University
– Istvan Hegedus, Director, Hungarian Europe Society
– Denis Cenușă, Researcher, Institut für Politikwissenschaft; PhD Candidate, Department for Political Science, Justus-Liebig-Universität
Oana Popescu-Zamfir, Director, GlobalFocus Center; Europe’s Futures Fellow, Institute for Human Sciences, Vienna
You can read the study here and see the attached agenda: https://www.global-focus.eu/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Democratic-Resilience-Index.pdf
To register for the online event please do so here: https://sites-gmf.vuturevx.com/33/7552/landing-pages/rsvp-prefill—virtual.asp If you have any questions, please contact Alexandra Maria Ghioc at email@example.com.